Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Top 5 People Who Should Have Their Own Talk Shows

There's talk of giving Sarah Palin a talk show when her term runs out in Alaska. Though this is definitely favorable over her ever running for President ever, ever again, this still makes my flesh crawl. If there's a spot open on a network's daytime or late-night line-up, I've got 5 potential hosts that should definitely get the call before the GOP's favorite Hockey Mom.

5. Tina Fey - Should be the next host of the Tonight Show (after Conan) or the Late Show (after Letterman, so it might finally be watchable).
4. Ron Paul - Ron Paul's common-sense politics may not have gotten him anywhere in the race for the Republican nomination, but I'd love to see him make a thirty-minute firesat chat five nights a week, addressing the day's issues.
3. Patton Oswalt - My favorite stand-up comic and script doctor should have a show on G4 or something about geek interests. Listen to his album "Werewolves and Lollipops" and you'll understand why. (If you've only got time/money for one track, my point is best illustrated by "At Midnight I Will Kill George Lucas.)
2. Mike Pfeiffer - Okay, nobody knows who he is, yet. And he's just my pal from High School. But I swear he's the funniest guy in the universe. His show would, however, be best suited for cable or light-night, because his sense of humor has gotten filthier and filthier since I've known him, and I imagine this trend can only continue into the future. Speaking of the future, keep your eyes and ears open, because he might sneak up onto the big-time comedy scene. (If he ever gets around to actually getting on the comedy scene. C'mon, buddy. Get on that.)
1. John Oliver - The Daily Show's British corespondent is quickly becoming the new Steven Colbert. John Oliver's contributions are a highlight, if not the highlight of the show these days. His wry wit, plus is fresh, one might say "foreign" perspective, would make him an ideal candidate for another spin-off. Of course, there's really no need or demand for another half-hour of political satire on Comedy Central, but should either Stewart or Colbert ever wish to retire, go on sabbatical or pursue other projects (as if either of them would throw away their careers with such a move) Oliver could absolutely fill in. (Ironically, as I was writing this, tonights' John Oliver segment began, and it was kind of disappointing. Well, you can't win them all.)

CODA: This list was revised in Top 5 Revisions I'd Like to Make to Previous Lists.

6 comments:

Mike! said...

Tina Fey isn't really funny. At all. At least I think. And it sucks because I really do believe there must be funny female comedians out there. They must exist. Some of the funniest people I know are female, so where are they? Instead we're stuck with the likes of Fey and Sarah Silverman. Ugggh...

rrrrrreooow! said...

Oh my God, you did not just compare Tina Fey to Sarah Silverman. I think I speak for Dylan here as well when I say that if you think that Tina Fey is the same as Sarah Silverman, you can just unsubscribe.

We'll wait.

Tina Fey is hilarious. Have you not seen 30 Rock? I thought you haven't. SNL cried when she left the show. Mike! is it? Yeah, I thought so.

rrrrrreooow! said...

Also, I don't think Dylan said she was funny. I just think he said she would make a good talk show host. Which she would.

Blahhhhhh, Mike!

Dylan Roth said...

Yes she would. But she is also screamingly funny.

David L said...

...and, as usual, I just miss the list at number 6. Dylan, if you, Pfeiff and I combined forces we would have the best show in the history of ever. This is an industry that I am, in some form, trying to break into.
I don't get to catch 30 Rock that often, but I love what I've seen.
Am I the ONLY ONE who payed ANY attention to Ron Paul's policies? The guy is against roads! ROADS!
You do know that Jimmy Fallon is set to be the next host, right? It weirded me out at first, but keep in mind that Conan had to grow into his role.
Pfeiff would be good as a Craig Ferguson-type host.

I'm really starting to get sick of Colbert. Really, the act has gotten stale at this point. He's become more predictable than the people he is satirizing.

Mike! said...

I apologize for having an opinion. And I was merely mentioning another well-known female comedian. Dar, you have to calm down.