Friday, November 21, 2008

Top 5 Games to Look Forward To

Requested by Dan Montrose

This year's holiday season, in my opinion, has not been the most exciting for video games. Sure, a lot of people are psyched for Gears of War 2 (I'm not) but besides that, there's not a lot much to look forward to until next year. Here's the Top 5 upcoming video games I'm looking forward to.

5. Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009) - Hey, a Batman game actually based on the comics instead of an adaptation! Developer Rocksteady Studios says the gameplay will focus on combat and forensics, the two core skills of Batman. Story by Paul Dini, plus the return of Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill as Batman and Joker.
4. Star Wars: The Old Republic (TBA) - Just announced, the follow-up both to the popular Knights of the Old Republic series and to the lackluster MMORPG Star Wars Galaxies. Now, play as a Jedi, as a Sith, as a Mandalorian, you name it. It's early in its development, but BioWare promises in-depth story and PvP action.
3. Halo 3: Recon (Q3 2009) - A lot of people were disappointed with Halo 3's online multiplayer, or upset that the series of sci-fi first-person-shooters was over. But the first (of many?) expansion pack to the game promises not only a totally-new single-player campaign, in which you play as one of those NPC troops you see throughout the franchise, plus lots of new multiplayer possibilities.
2. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2: Fusion (2009) - I've played the hell out of Ultimate Alliance. I'm still playing it, and it's been out for almost three years now. If they just gave me more stages to this same game, I'd be thrilled. But Activision promises new characters, new game mechanics and a super-cool storyline that might include plot elements from Civil War!
1. Star Trek Online (Q4 2009) - My entire life, I've wanted to be a Starfleet officer. This is the closest I'm ever going to get, and I've been waiting since 2005 for them to finally finish the damn thing. Everything I've seen so far of this game, from its species-creation system, the promise of your very own starship and a universe that will literally expand, giving you new things to explore for years, means I'll pay whatever monthly fee they want. I'm ready to energize.

(I've noticed you guys have stopped making requests. Is it something I said? Is there an odor? Please, don't be shy.)

2 comments:

David L said...

Hey, I still make requests!

5 sounds interesting, particuarlly since no other Batman game has actually focused on forensics.
4 can and WILL be awesome... I hope.

rrrrrreooow! said...

Oh no, number 1. Is this going to be like WoW for Star Trek fans? Please say no. I would like to see you... at leat once a month.

In other news... Top Five favorite comic strips. Like, from the newpaper. Only, not our school newspaper. Like, a real newspaper.

In other other news... :)